Jazz Drummer Ari Hoenig: “Melodic Drumming” Instructional Video/DVD
* Learn How to Play REAL Melodies on the Drums
* Jam-packed 2-hour 15-minute (!) Jazz Drummer Lesson
* 80-Minute Interview
* Bonus Tracks with Ari playing complete songs for you (from regular Standards to “Tequila”!)
One of the most original and adventurous jazz drummers on the jazz drumming scene, Ari Hoenig successfully blends knowledge of tradition with the future. His impressive list of sideman credits includes Joshua Redman, Wayne Krantz, Kurt Rosenwinkel & Kenny Werner. He also continually creates his own projects, incl. Ari Hoenig Quartet, Trio and Punk Bop.
Inside of “Melodic Drumming”, Ari finally shares a rather unusual aspect of jazz drumming: playing actual melodies on the drums. Really. Not just ‘you can kind of hear a melody.’ Ari shares his in-depth approach to REALLY playing true melodies on the drums with you here.
Besides being a monster jazz drummer, Ari is also a clear & concise teacher.
All melodic drumming concepts are explained in great detail.
Plus, fellow drummer & former student Jerad Lippi asks insightful questions for part of the video.
And now YOU can add this to your jazz drumming arsenal as well!
You’ll learn about:
* Playing the melody of a song using basic contour (but not actual pitches)
* Playing the melody of a song using actual pitches
* Soloing melodically over a song form
* Freely improvising a piece of music
* Various Bonus tracks of Ari playing complete songs for you – ranging from “Tequila” to regular standards
And LOTS more Jazz Drummer Wisdom…
“Pure Genius!! Let me start off by saying this is an INSTRUCTIONAL DVD, not a show-off video.
… I really like the interview format: it reminds me of the old instructional videos of Dennis Chambers and Steve Gadd.
And Ari’s student seems to get to the right questions, and Ari to the right answers, always throwing in some extra content.
Ari picked up the sword that once was Max Roach’s signature weapon – and he polished and sharpened it.
Prepare yourself for many hours of productive and creative jazz drumming practice!” Fabio Pirozzolo, Stoneham, MA, via Amazon.com
“Every performing jazz drummer can benefit from more melodic intentions in their drumming output, and that’s what makes Hoenig’s message so important.” Dan Bilawsky, AllAboutJazz.com